Cyber Threat and Extortion Services
Cyber Extortion comes in many forms including ransomware and denial of service, to threats to disclose customer data, private data or other confidential information. The financial amount involved is one thing, but such demands also exert enormous pressure on companies and loss of reputation is a real threat. Choosing a partner who can assist and respond when the need arises is an important first step in alleviating this.
What is cyber extortion?
Cyber extortion is an online crime in which hackers hold your data, website, computer systems, or other sensitive information hostage until you meet their demands for payment. Cyber extortion often takes the form of ransomware and distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks, both of which could paralyze your organization.
How does cyber extortion work?
Cyber extortionists have several common techniques for breaking into your computer hardware, software, and networks and incapacitating them until you pay a fee.
One tactic is ransomware, which involves a hacker tricking one of your employees into clicking on a link or file within an email message. This activates the ransomware, which spreads throughout your network, encrypting your servers and data so you can’t access applications and files. The only way to restore access is to pay the hacker for an encryption key.
So-called distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks involve hackers using a network of infected computers to send an overwhelming flood of messages to your web server, which effectively takes it out of service until the messaging stops.
Cyber Extortion Services:
- Cyber internal threat assessment
- Crisis management plans
- Cyber extortion awareness work shops
- Cyber extortion training/simulation/exercises
- Operation of a 24/7 dedicated hotline specifically for cyber incident response.
- Response Consultants with comprehensive experience in cyber extortion, crisis and threat management, and crisis communications.
- Associates specializing in forensic investigations, assessments and restitution of networks/systems.
- Advice on the consultation and engagement of legal advisors and any potential compliance issues.